Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Parents Know Best

"If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?" - Luke 11:13

It's amazing how your mind opens to the way God feels (in a limited way, of course) when you become a parent. Tonight, I found my three year old in the bathroom drinking water from the faucet in the bathtub! I got so upset and told him, "Ashton, if you are thirsty, just ask mommy for water! You don't have to do that!"

I see myself in Ashton when it comes to my relationship with God and I think you do, too. So many times we act according to what we feel and what we want and are so adamant about getting our way with it. We're not wrong for wanting certain things, like love and financial prosperity. God wants us to have those things, but He sees the bigger picture! He can zoom out and see all of the repercussions and how something is good or not good for us, and so He knows to give or not give to us. Ashton was thirsty and that was a desire put into him by God. Instead of coming to me for help, Ashton drank tap water from a faucet when I could have given him purified water in a clean cup. Sometimes we chose to drink tap water when we don't go to God and tell Him our desires, and all the while He wants to give us what will truly quench our thirst.

Today's Prayer;
Father, thank You for being so good to me. Help me to trust You when things seem difficult and I'm holding strong to my ways. Teach me that You know best for me and help me to trust. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.

No comments: