Saturday, January 4, 2014

No Wine For Me, Please

"But you have given my heart more joy than they have when grain and wine abound." - Psalm 4:8

I don't drink but I see how a glass of wine is relaxing at the end of a long day or how it can make an evening with friends more enjoyable. Tonight, I had the privilege of being invited to the Catholic Underground by some good friends for adoration and it was beyond beautiful. Evening prayer was said and this verse was read and it struck me because I could relate to it completely.

People are having a lot of long days and a lot of nights with friends and enjoying a lot of wine but not enough Christ. Wine can do for the heart and mind what junk food can do for the emotions when one is sad, but if you choose to turn to Christ at the end of a long day, you are brought relief and solace. Nights with friends laughing brings joy, but if you chose to do it with Christ, you are brought together by pure love. I am not knocking the occasional glasses of wine at all, but I am saying that for me, nothing brings me more relaxation and more joy than to find my rest, my peace, my comfort and my joy in Jesus Christ.

Tonight's Prayer:
Thank You Lord for the beautiful night You let me share in Your presence. Thank You for filling my heart and giving me all I need. In Your Name we pray, amen.

No comments: