Saturday, January 18, 2014

Do You Hear Him?

"My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me." - John 10:27

My three year old can be very stubborn, as most kids his age are. Tonight he unwrapped a piece of cheese and threw the wrapper on the floor. When my husband told him to pick it up, he kept walking as if he didn't hear him. My husband told him again and my son went and threw the wrapper in the sink. On the third request, my husband had to take my son by the hand over to the trash so he could throw out the wrapper.

Does this at all remind you of how you might be with God? I know it reminds me of myself. Many times God speaks to us and it's not what we want to hear. Either we ignore it altogether until God speaks to us again in some form, or we hear what we want to hear. We take what God is telling us and try to interpret it in a way that fits what we want. The third time my husband asked my son to throw out the wrapper, he had to force him over to the trash can to do what was right. When we hear God, we need to take immediately action so that He doesn't have to use force to make us see what He first needs us to hear.

Today's Prayer:
Lord, make my heart receptive to Your message. Give me the humility and obedience to listen and act on what You want me to do. In Your Name we pray, amen.

No comments: