Sunday, January 19, 2014

Confrontation

"Brothers, even if a person is caught in some transgression, you who are spiritual should correct that one in a gentle spirit, looking to yourself, so that you also may not be tempted." - Galatians 6:1

This verse is tough for me because I absolutely hate confrontation. I don't want anyone upset at me or to get into an argument with anyone, but sometimes, certain behaviors need to be stopped. Rick Warren says, in A Purpose Driven Life, that the phrase "mind your own business" is not a Christian saying because if you know your brother or sister is in sin and you turn the other way, you are not acting out of love in correcting them. You are prolonging their sin.

In the past, I've kept my silence about things I should have spoken up against and I ended up feeling as if those sins were my own. That burden was really heavy. Don't fall victim into thinking it's their problem and you shouldn't get involved. Maybe you are who God put in their path to bring them out of it. The key in this is to correct them in private, with love and gentleness to not offend them or make them feel like you are judging them, but to simply offer support and encouragement in coming out of the situation.

Today's Prayer:
Father, make me bold and brave when it comes to defending my brothers and sisters out of sin. Help me to have the courage to speak up and help them change their lives and do better, without ever making them feel like I am judging them. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.

No comments: